Monday, December 04, 2006

My day & experience at Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2006

Writing here about my day & experience about my taking part in Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2006 on 3rd December 2006 (Sunday)... It was great fun and exciting on that day I wont forget till then..

Before that, my dear and I got to wake up at 445am and prepared things ready to go there. Then my dear got to worry of how to go there and where to park the car.. he is just a new driver... so told him to park car at Shaw Tower opp Suntec City. Even got to guide him by pointing the roads / express way to CTE.. alamak.. I should be the one to drive as I know roads in Singapore quite well... But given my hearing condition, I cannot be driver anyway.

When my dear was driving, I immediately took out the champion chip and inserted it on my shoes lace and his shoes too.. I was little worried about my energy / strength because I barely slept only 3 hours and was quite tired & sleeply. Then started to drink vitamin C and cereals before reaching there. Also got my dear to eat cereals too..

Even though I had my own run training but it was not much serious, yet I only wanted to complete 10km running by 55 minutes.. Did not know if I expect too much of myself or just want to achieve my timing for 10km running. I was told that 10km distance is actually short and could finish it by about 45 - 50 mins... After hearing this, it is impossible. So I just said to myself to give it a try but I do not want to stop at half way. Because I did finish running 10km at SAFRA Sheares Bridge 2006.

We walked together to start point near esplanade and warm up ourselves... in end I keep sighing to myself and try not to exhaust too much or else I could finish 10km running... At 7.00am, my dear went first for Men 10km run then mine (Women 10km) turn was at 7.30am. I was very bored and stood there alone to do some extra warm up to wake up myself. I had a bad feeling about myself that I could not understand what the person who was talking on mic (maybe MC) because I am hearing impaired. So I got to watch runners action or behaviour like for example, all women runners raise their arms up and clapped so I followed them. And when they started to run so I followed them or else.. It is very disturbing to know my hearing condition as being deaf myself. But I am used to it as I have been running in few events before.

At 7.30am, we all women runners started to run so I followed them, but not follow them completely.. I mean the route where to run. Then I started to run the route abit faster. When was at Raffles Quay, I noticed all runners keep looking back and I wonder what was happening as I could not hear the sound... So I looked back and realised it was an ambulance so I moved aside on road...carry on running..

But...it was a little disappointing with women runners who did not know what they were doing on road route. In end, I was stopped or blocked by few many runners who ran faster then stopped to walk abit then moved from left to right or from right to left on road.. Seeing them like this made me very tired quite fast and frustrated, I must say admit... Especially at marine road, marine PL, marine park, marine way, I never expected to see huge clash with other runners of 10km Men, 21km and full marathon runners on same roads... It becomes the biggest crowd and I got to remain calm and try not to complain alot..

After I gain some calm and decided to give myself a fierce fight back by run pass through runners and ignored them who tried to block me or stop at somewhere on road.. I could not afford to lose my timing. Shaking my head to remind myself to focus on running to finish 10km first - was the most important to me...

Running all the way till Shenton or Robinson Road, I saw the man who fainted on road and see the blood coming out from his head.. It was really frightening and closed my eyes to run faster. Saw the sign mention ***metres to finish point, I kept smile to myself to know that I would finish my 10km run.. till at St. Andrew's road, I saw the clock timing 1:00:00 something, it was huge shocked and ran faster to reach there. Finally, I set my watch clocked was at 1:12:something. I felt not satisfied with my personal timing as I supposed to finish it by before 60 mins.

Nevermind about my timing, so I looked for my dear and found him. He hugged me saying I did well and ran faster than his timing. I did not believe it. Then we went to collect medal after returned champion chip to volunters in tent..... then we went to route side to lend our supports to our friends who was running 42.195km full marathon...

I had seen alot of fat or big size runners can run at long distance well, it was really surprised me. But some runners who are like "uncles or aunties or grandfathers" impressed me alot and deserved my respects. They could complete 42.195km within 5 - 6 hours. They are blessed with long live and stay fit. Then suddenly to think why they could do it, why cannot I ? Kinda paiseh myself lor...

It is also another surprise that it is rare trend of seeing runners sign up for half marathon 21km and full marathon run.

After seeing them finished their 42.195km run, I gave myself sometime to think and decided to sign up 21km SAFRA Sheares Bridge first to see if I can finish this distance or not. If I could do it, I will sign up 21km or 42.195km at standard charatered singapore marathon 2007. I think the motto "Distance can be overcome" and "Impossible is nothing" which I saw on banners somewhere...

At least, I have learnt something there and it will be my first experience to explore there. Thank you Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2006 origansation.

My hubby's tag number 24635 (blue for Men 10km catergory). His timing clocked 1:07:something.



My tag number 34574 (green for Women 10km catergory).




Took picture of my first medal of 10km run......

I was extremely happy to get this medal as a memory.



See the indicated of 10km (central) on it near the merlion.


After I clocked it at finish line then I refused to change it back to zero. I just want to keep it still to remind myself for the better timing next year.



Finally kissed my first medal of 10km Women.



Smile at last with joy ........


We really love those goodies... especially nice adidas color top...
*see you at 2007 SAFRA Sheares Bridge Marathon and Standard Chartered Marathon* grinsz.....




No comments: