Sunday, September 24, 2006

My MHI Youth Council Days (1998 - 2001)

MHI - Ministry of Hearing Impaired is where all the (HI) hearing-impaired people gather together to attend church on every Sundays and many activities and others. It was established by Wesley Methodist Church near YMCA there.

Youth Council (YC) was a new establishment on 22nd September 1998 and Dr Victor Keng started to choose the few HI talent people to run YC involved in organising other activities such as camping, leadership camp or else and events like Christmas Party. I was discovered to join YC in early 1998 then.

My past Youth Council commitments from 1998 - 2001
1) Programme co-ordinator for camping at Sentosa (March 1998)
2) Event co-ordinator for Christmas Party (Dec 1998)
3) Training cum programme for survival camping at East Coast (Nov 1999)
4) Guest cum Host co-ordinator for Christmas Party at YWCA Ballroom (Dec 1999) 5) Volunteers Gathering for charity works (Jan - Aug 2000)
6) MC Host & Interpreter for Christmas Party (Dec 2000)
7) MC Host for Christmas Party Opening with NTU, NUS, Poly (Dec 2001) - this was my last commitment for YC.



All of them are former Youth Council Team from 1998 to 2001 and the man in grey vest (upper row) is Dr. Victor Keng.



Despite of our hearing loss, still it did not affect us. We were strong team with our highly confidence and challenge to work together just like a own family. Most of us have our own potentials at different talent positions / areas which they could do their own duties to be fulfilled.

Not forget that, we know that we have a loss of hearing, we are still HUMANS have eyes, legs, arms and brains to move on. We did it. Never look at us as a handicapped or disabled. We did not look ones like this.

Happy 2nd Birthday to Youth Council on 22nd September 2000 at Wheelock Plaza.


Our duties had done fully to make christmas party 1999 was a just 98% successful without any helps from hearing volunteers of NUS, NTU or Poly. Most of them were tasked with duties such as Food & Beverages, Guest controlling, Programme eventer, Treasurer, Chairman, Photographer, Light & Sound effect controller and else. Never forget was that we had 3 days midnight burst to go through this works to ensure that christmas party went smoothly within 3-4 hours.


At Dec 2000 - Christmas Party, I was selected to be MC Female Host with Dianel - MC Male Host. This was the first programme to introduce. We were just using our signs to talk on the stage while the hearing interpreter who was in front of us to read our signs to tell all the guests of what we said.

The man is the pastor, Rev Joo from South Korea. He is also hearing impaired. However his sign language is very totally different from us. His sign was in Korea Language while me and daniel was using sign in English America Language. Of course, every countries where deaf people are using different sign languages in their own languages.


Second round of programme - we had to entertain the guests at Ballroom.

Last round of event programme - giving talk about the real life we faced of what we have done to contribute and experiences. Barely forget what I said on the stage because got to memory all the script to say.


End event of party - the woman (5th from the right side), Mabel Ng was the chairman of MHI to give blessing & thanks for our 2nd time achievement to organise party.

After Dec 2001 of 3rd successful christmas party with 200+ guests, I had completed my duty as MC HI Host together with MC Hearing Host (David). By then, Youth Council was closed down due to our commitments & personal reasons of leaving and we seperated into our own ways. Most of us started working or further studies overseas.

After 4 - 5 years, we finally made arrangement to meet up and to mark our YC remembrance together on 22nd Sepetmeber 2006 at new cafe along boat quay opp The Irish Pub.

Former Youth Council Mangerial Trainers from 1998 - 2001. For girl in green, joined YC in 2000.


Former Youth Council Helpers from 1998 - 2001. Few came late and they were not here in this photos.


Look different from the past photos of 1998 - 2000. But still the same people together.


This is mixed turkish & indian combo food... it suitable for 4 - 5 people but in end we ordered wrong combo as we all were 7 people each on 2 tables. Guess how much it costs... $50 buck for this combo.

After dinner, we went to eski ice pub near TCC at Boat Quay. Most of them wanted to go there to celebrate birthday of our last remembrance of YC. Then when we reached outside eski, they were afraid to ask waitress whether got place for us to sit. I said to them, go in and ask lah. They chose to wait outside and expected somebody to do for them. Kinda disappointing..

So I decided not to waste my time and told waitress that we needed 16 seats inside. She told me to wait and checked out for me. After a while, waitress came out and told me that all seats were fully and asked me do not mind to sit outside and drink. In end, most of them were upset & disappointed after heard this because they did not want to drink outside. Too warm and they prefered to have drink inside.

Then I took 5 minutes to talk to waitress and told her to give herself the best to find 16 seats for us within 10 minutes as I did not mind to wait till she gave me good customer service responds. This was my testing on her. After 10 - 15 mins waiting, the waitress passed her patience when communicating with me thru paper & pen. She finally found me the good 16 seats. I patted her shoulder saying, "thank you for your help and you are great waitress to me always." in my hp text to show her.

Never expected the waitress cried in front of me. And she wrote on paper saying, I was very brave to talk to her like this to give her some confidence as a waitress.

Guess what I said to her.

Texted my hp to tell her that I learnt alot when worked as florist cum customer service at florist shop at Heeren where I dealed with rich and western customers. Lucky, they were patient & nice people. Not only this, I worked as runner / waitress in Seoul Garden and cafe before where I faced dealing with rude and good customers. And also worked as administration executive in Sito Network Company last time. That was how I know how to deal with customers with kinda of various communication methods. This is only within my own ability & experiences. It was my good lesson to learn this.

We were sitting in prefect capacity space for 16 people in eski pub inside. Finally taken this photo. Most of them are working now. Three of them are currently self-employed in their own business. Few are married and attached too.

My friends Sandy, Vanessa, Me and Pao Ru.

The girl in red checkered shirt, Sandy told us to give good & funny expression on camera. So we did like this. haha...


Bought this chocolate fudge cake from Coffeebean. Kelvin forgot to ask the staff to add some words on cake.


We wished each one another - Happy Last YC Birthday just to mark our remembrance together as we would no longer to extend our commitments to contribute to YC.

Before leaving this place, I took this picture to remember on that day. Eski Pub with freezing cold inside is not bad designs look but kinda small. It could hold only within 30 people.

No comments: